Thursday, March 12, 2009
Gavin's story - Part 5: Fear and uncertainty

6:50 pm: As you can see from the look on her face, the medication did not last. Things slowly went from "wait it out", to the same level of pain as before the medication. The anesthesiologist was perplexed. They tried different positions during the contractions, we tried our relaxation techniques. Nothing worked. Julie was in serious pain, and now everyone was concerned.
7:20 pm: 30 minutes later, we're in route to the operating room. The doctors wanted Julie to continue to labor there because with the continual contractions, the baby's heart rate was dropping below 100 bpm. Also, her temperature was over 100 F, and due to the pain situation. If something were to happen, she's already in the operating room in case there's a need for an emergency ceasarian section. Only one support person is allowed in the operating room, so unfortunately Julie's mother, Linda, would have to stay behind. I would be allowed in to help. So the plan is we'll move her down there and continue where we left off in the O.R.. Julie is yelling out in pain occasionally as she is wheeled on her bed through the halls. I'm following at a trot to keep up with the quick moving medical staff. I'm in back, so I called out to Julie "I'm still here, Julie, I'm coming with you!" I'm starting to get nervous when I realize how quickly we are moving through the halls. At least I'll be by her side to be with her.Counters