Thursday, March 12, 2009

 

Gavin's story - Part 7: Relief

So, here we are in the recovery room, waiting for Gavin.


It took another hour after they got Gavin out until they had Julie ready to leave the OR. When we got to the recovery room, we were told that we would have to wait here for 2 hours, Gavin had to stay in the NICU for 1:30. I was allowed to go to visit the NICU. I took a picture to take back to Julie to show her that he was OK. She was still having trouble believing that he was not in distress. I went in, and found him. He was doing fine. They just had him hooked up to a lot of equipment, an IV in his tiny hand, a temp monitor on his foot, a bunch of electrodes on his chest or the heart rate. In spite of all this, I asked if I could hold him, and they let me. So armed with the picture and the fact that I held him, I went back to recovery and told Julie, and showed her this:

I could see the relief on her face immediately. Finally, an hour and a half after we got out of the OR, they brought Gavin in to us in the recovery room.



It was a long, drawn out path between getting to the hospital and having him in our arms. 17 hours. Uncontrolled pain. Neo-natal intensive care unit. The dude didn't make an easy entrance to the world, but he's here, and that's what matters.

Just after midnight, we got to relax back in our room and try to get some sleep. The next day, Miles came and met his new brother.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Website Counter
Counters